New Year, Different Goals

Happy 2022! 

Is it too late to say that when it's already February? I don't think I was mentally prepared for 2022. 2021 was a stressful year, for all of us. Powering through a period of really turbulent time only to find out I actually desperately needed some rest was a huge wake up call for me. Then, at the end of January, there's the terrible news that my aunt has left this pale blue dot for another beautiful universe beyond our reach. It just crushed me like that last little rock that ignited a landslide, and I'm trying not to get suffocated from the weight.

I took the month of January to really think through what 2022 would mean to me. I'm not a New Years Resolutions type of person, but I find it helpful to have a word or two to live by to ground me. So I've settled on "self-discover". It sounds really narcissistic, but I really want to continue my journey to dig deeper at who I am, what my values are, and who I want to be as a person. I wish to live more intentionally, both in my work and my crafting "work", and to feel like me... whatever that means. 

My first coat, still one of my proudest accomplishments

Recap and Reflect 2021

2021 was my most active year yet in the Sewing Instagram World! I've done so many pattern tests, and interacted with amazing designers/other sewists. I even started this blog because I could no longer keep up with the scribbles in my notebooks and decided I need a more coherent way to record my sewing adventures. I had the opportunity to sew for Minerva as their Brand Ambassador, assist in the Great Bra Sewing Bee behind the scenes, and many more very exciting and cool opportunities that I couldn't even DREAM of a mere year ago! I've pushed myself again and again outside of my comfort zone and tried my hand at hand-sewing and tailoring techniques. 

One of my many pattern tests!
One of my Minerva Brand Ambassador Makes!

A huge highlight is being part of the Asian Sewist Collective podcast! I got to meet and know these amazing Asian sewists that I would call friends. They really inspire me to rediscover my Asian American identity and explore how I want to fit into this world.

Although I really enjoy pattern testing and other supportive work in the sewing community, I have come to terms that I have limited energy and will, therefore, need to better allocate and protect my energy as necessary. That means, I need to be more intentional in applying and accepting opportunities that I want. And that ties it back to the self-discovery of examining what I like/want.

What to expect in 2022

Coming up in 2022, there will still be sewing in my life, lol! But I really want to shift my focus back to my real day job and living outside of the Instagram squares. That means, I will dial back on pattern testing and sewing in general. Instead of sewing 2-3 items per month at my peak productivity, I'll aim to complete ~3-5 items per year. It pains me to stop myself from applying to every opportunity out there (because FOMO!), but I also have to be realistic with myself. 

My sewing goal this year is to make things that REALLY excite me, instead of worrying about it being practical all the time. Another thing I'd like to tackle is refashion my existing closet! Ever since I started sewing, I've hated my existing wardrobe and always feel like I have nothing to wear. But I shall rectify the situation by upcycling and rediscovering what I own.

Self-discovery also means finding other interests. In this case, stepping back from sewing means I'll have some creative time to nurture my crafty obsession with other mediums, namely crepe paper flowers and watercolors. Both are new-to-me crafts that I really enjoyed.

My adventure into watercolors!

Finally, I've committed myself to at least 3 months of therapy. There are some internal work that I want to do to improve my resilience and take better care of myself. 

Hope 2022 will be a good year for everyone!

Paper Peonies
  
 
A crepe paper Iris

Comments

Popular Posts