Gift-making: Men's Essentials Bundle

It's that time of the year for holiday presents making. Of course, this post has to come out later because spoilers, lol. Okay, not really, it's because I am sewing over the holidays. Anyway, my partner requested more home/PJ joggers. And I've previously promised to make him... basically everything he'll ever need in his wardrobe. So, for gift-making this year, I decided to make him joggers, long-sleeves tops, and underwear. 

Joggers x 2

I have previously made two pairs of joggers for him already, one in a merino blend jersey and another in a cotton/spandex jersey. Over a few months of wear, the cotton/spandex jersey stretched out quite a bit. My lesson there was to consider the vertical stretch of jerseys, especially for garments on the lower half of the body. The merino blend jersey one fits super well and didn't stretch out at all, so I set out to buy the same jersey off The Fabric Store NZ again. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the same fabric again. However, the store customer service was able to recommend two fabrics that's suitable for joggers. I grabbed a black merino blend sweatshirting, and a black merino blend double jersey. Both sewed up really nicely and did not give my machine hell. The sweatshirting material was very plushy, but I'm uncertain I like the feel of the non-looped side. It's quite plasticy, similar to wicking athletic fabrics.

A stack of two joggers

Black is SUPER hard to photograph. These are front view of the joggers

A pair of joggers, folded

Sun-block long sleeve tees with thumb holes x 2

A little while ago, I rubbed off one of my partner's RTW shirt to make a T-shirt pattern. Although it's not my favorite look on him (I have yet to find a fav tshirt pattern for him), it works for the purpose of having something to cover him up while working outdoors. I bought a white sun-block fabric for the t-shirts from Rockywood fabrics. I didn't love the foot prints that came with the white fabric, but since this was for outdoors and it is going to get dirty anyway, I didn't bother complaining to the company. A major hack I did was extended the sleeves into a long sleeve, and then added thumb holes according to this Threads tutorial. I love how it looks on him, so maybe I'll make one for myself in the near future. It also turns out I need to make a mental note of shortening the sleeves by an inch for future iterations.

White Sunblock Long Sleeve Tee

Detail shot of built in thumb holes

Thumb holes as demonstrated with human hand

Comox Trunks Underwear x 1

Last but not least, underwear! I use the Comox trunks by Thread Theory and have been successful in previous underwear versions. Changes I've made to arrive at my current version include extending the trunk legs by 2" and cutting 4 cut pieces instead of including a front opening. For folks like my partner who has sensitive skin/prefers less stitches on the inside, I serged all the seams on the outside/right side of the fabric, then topstitched. A silicone-backed elastic, used to prevent gown slippage, was sewn on the leg opening for experimentation - pending feedback from the wearer. This silicone-backed elastic idea originated from his cycling bibs, in which the leg of the garment won't move despite rapid leg movement.

Comox Trunk in green

Close up shot of trunk leg opening with silicone-backed elastic for slip prevention

Phew - that was a lot of making. After all these knitwear makes, I'm super tempted to get a coverstitch machine. 😆

Thank goodness for TNTs! 

Yay for having patterns mostly fitted and figured out! That's definitely one thing I love about sewing for my partner - I'm honing in on TNTs that I can make over and over again instead of reinventing the wheel most of the time. For one of my sewing goals next year, I hope to get into some pattern drafting/TNTs so I can stop buying patterns and start hacking them!

Hope you had a restful and relaxing winter holiday!

Comments

Popular Posts