Wedding Sewing 10: Final Reveal

Yay, we made it to the final reveal! What a journey this was. I had some final accessories to complete my wedding dress photo shoot.

Final Accessories

I really loved the earrings I picked up from Japan. They're mizuhiki knots that represent plum blossoms.

   
Mizuhiki knot earrings

In an effort to beautify my hair-do, I also attempted to make a beaded hair accessory using jewelry wires I had on hand. The final result ended up too big for my head, and it just wasn't the vibe I wanted. In the end, I used a small sample that I was practicing with for the pictures. The subtlety of it is much more... me.  

Hair accessory was way too big
Practice sample fits much better

Cost

Before I photo-dump on here, I’d like to address how much it would have cost me for a bespoke dress like this. I spent about 14 weeks averaging 30 hours per week on the dress. Using $15 per hour as labor cost: 30 hours * $15/hour = $6300. Between the $600 materials and the labor, this would have cost me close to $7000! I mean, there are also other variables that can affect this calculation. I am not a professional, who might actually sew much faster than I could, and thus lowering the hours and increasing the per hour charge.

Final Thoughts

I will admit to burning myself out with the intense sewing schedule while staying on top of a challenging day job, which is why I’m only revealing my final look months after the dress is finished! Thank goodness my now-husband was so supportive and picked up all the chores while I went crazy with sewing. (And still decides to marry me, lol)

The whole creative journey of refining silhouettes and design elements was so fun. I am fully leaning into the experimental play that this journey taught me and will definitely bring more of this creative experimental energy into other aspects of my life. I'm learning that I love using my slopers and draping techqniues to design new garments, instead of chasing the next pattern release. This whole journey was so challenging but also such a confidence boost in that I've somehow managed to do something no one has before! Making a one-of-a-kind outfit with no instructions, problem solving, and paving my own path forward were such huge boosts in confidence that I could use in other parts of my life right now. If I could choose again, I would choose to make my own dress. But maybe this time allow for sufficient rest.

Okay, I’m done babbling, please enjoy the final pictures!






Comments

Popular Posts